The Very Troubling Story of Shannon Matthews...
British Police need to learn how to interrogate people properly and extract the Whole Truth and Nothing but the Truth, just as Courts of Law require. IT'S THEIR DUTY! If they can't do that, they should not be in the Police Force, in the first place. Common Sense, Really!
It is interesting to hear West Yorkshire (WY) Police have distributed leaflets telling the local community "Please do not take the law into your own hands and leave police to do their job." The police had nearly a month to do their job properly.
Shannon, a nine year old girl, disappeared in Dewsbury, West Yorkshire, England on February 19 and was eventually found on March 14 2008 in a flat belonging to her stepfather's uncle, near her own home, after a search operation costing police more than £1million.
How did West Yorkshire Police spend £1 million?
The investigation was led by Detective Superintendent Andy Brennan. The West Yorkshire Police questioned 1,500 motorists and also searched 3,000 houses. By 5 March, more than 250 officers and 60 detectives were involved in the investigation, about 10% of West Yorkshire Police's operational strength. This became the largest police search for a missing person, in the country, since the Yorkshire Ripper investigation around 30 years previously. Of the 27 specialist victim recovery dogs in the United Kingdom, 16 were involved in the search.
On March 14, 2008, twenty-four days after going missing, Shannon was found concealed in the base of a divan bed in her stepfather's uncles flat in Lidgate Gardens, Batley Carr.
What Type of Publicity and Money Masks Lies?
The Sun newspaper initially offered a reward of £20,000 for information leading to her return. This was increased on 10 March, to £50,000. A Huddersfield business also offered £5,000.
The West Yorkshire Police created a web page, 'Missing Shannon Matthews Appeal', to assist in the search. http://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/npt/LatestPressRelease.asp?id=4624 The police also released the 999 call made by Karen Matthews reporting the disappearance. An official website, 'Help Us Find Shannon', including the Shannon Matthews Appeal, was launched on 11 March.
What revenge might WY Police take when they are exposed as grossly negligent?
- Craig Meehan, the stepfather of Shannon, was arrested on 2 April, on suspicion of possessing indecent images of children. On 3 April he was charged with 11 offences of possessing indecent images of children.
- Michael Donovan, the uncle of Shannon’s stepfather, was charged with kidnapping and false imprisonment in connection with the incident on 17 March 2008.
- Shannon's mother, Karen Matthews, was arrested on 6 April on suspicion of attempting to pervert the course of justice. She was charged with child neglect and perverting the course of justice, on 8 April.
- Amanda Hyett, Craig Meehan's sister, was arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender, on 4 April 2008. Alice Meehan, the mother of Craig Meehan and sister of Michael Donovan, was arrested on suspicion of attempting to pervert the course of justice, also on 4 April. All three women are being held on suspicion of perverting the course of justice.
- The police announced, on April 8, that they were investigating approaches to the Madeleine McCann fund, for money to assist the search for Shannon.
A sad story but perhaps not for young Shannon Matthews. What child honestly wants instability, including a mother who has seven children by five different men? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Shannon_Matthews